Filmfest Düsseldorf was founded in 2003 by a little group of students at the Institute of Media and Cultural Studies at Heinrich-Heine-University. Over the years Filmfest Düsseldorf has developed into one of the most well-known short film competitions in North Rhine-Westphalia. The number of visitors is constantly growing and since 2010 we have started receiving entries from all over the world. There is no limitation in genre, instead we focus on supporting newcomers and young talents. We are excited to celebrate our 19th edition this year!
As usual Filmfest Düsseldorf takes place over three days in mid-November. This year it’s the 24th – 26th November. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our aim is to host an online and an in-person festival simultaneously.
Traditionally the entries compete for three awards. In 2018 an extra award was added, which is given by the Filmfest Team.
**Grand Jury Award, worth 1000 euros**
**Audience Award for short film under 15min, worth 750 euros**
**Audience Award for short film over 15min, worth 750 euros**
**Team Award, worth 500 euros**
1. The competition is open for all national and international newcomers. In order to guarantee the promotion of newcomers, the filmmaker may have only published up to five films by the time of submission! The submitted film has to be one of the aforementioned five films.
2. ‘Published films’ are defined by having been screened in public places (e.g. cinemas or festivals…) or on the internet. Please enclose complete filmography.
3. The running time must not exceed 30 minutes (excluding closing credits) and must not be shorter than 3 minutes (excluding closing credits).
4. The film must have been published within the last two years (2019-2021).
5. Each contestant may only submit one film annually. If more than one film is submitted, only the first entry will be taken into consideration.
6. The submitted version of the film must include English subtitles (even if the spoken language is English).
7. The filmmaker agrees that the submitted copy of the film will be kept in an archive. If the film is not nominated for the festival program the filmmaker may have his/her copy back. If you submit your film by post please enclose a stamped and addressed envelope in order to do so.
8. The sender guarantees that the footage used in the film is their property or that they have permission of use (e.g. GEMA, other collecting societies). Furthermore films that contain racist, pornographic, violent or any other unconstitutional material will not be accepted. The sender is liable for any form of violation.
9. The filmmaker agrees that if his or her film is nominated, it is shown at the Filmfest (offline as well as online). Submissions can not be withdrawn after announcement of the official selection.
10. For the screening at the Filmfest, the chosen films must be available in the following format: mov/MP4, low bit rate (80 bps), ideally max. 5GB
11. The filmmaker agrees with the publication of excerpts from their film in any available form in all kinds of media related to the Filmfest (max. 2 min.). We would also appreciate receiving film poster material for possible display purposes.
12. The filmmaker agrees that if nominated, excerpts from their film may be included and shown as part of the official Filmfest Düsseldorf Trailer.
13. The filmmaker also agrees to the use of their film for educational purposes within the course “media and cultural studies” at the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.
14. In case of nomination we are happy to welcome the filmmaker(s) or cast and crew to our festival. If you are not able to attend the festival we would ask the filmmaker to provide a short video message for us to include in our festival presentation. Unfortunately, Filmfest Düsseldorf e.V. is unable to pay any travel and accommodation fees.
There is no right of appeal.
Click HERE to Submit your Film!
Event Expiration Date: August 16, 2021